Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Weird PH levels?

AstroDreamer

Reaction score
I came across a discovery today with my axolotl's tank today involving PH levels. The PH where I live is a bit acidic (around 6.0 PH) so Every times I add new water to the tank I add a tiny tiny amount of baking soda. I read on here that that is a good way to slowly increase the PH levels. Today though I noticed that the surface-mid level PH is around 6.0-6.4 but at the bottom it is a lot higher. The bottom of my tank is showing a PH of 7.4. Is this something to be alarmed about and if so what should I do? I have a silica sand substrate, a few plastic plants and a fake half log hide. Would these be the cause of this?

Edit: Sorry all this was a false alarm. The PH levels are perfectly normal and it was my fault for not cleaning out the tubes used for water testing properly. To anyone concerned that I may have gotten the test liquids in the tank from the unclean tubes, I use a syringe to draw water from the tank to put in the tubes. I find it easier to get the correct volume this way

Last edited:

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Glad to see your edit, I had no idea what to say hahaha!
A small bag of crushed coral is also really good at raising and maintaining pH, and you don't have to add it every water change :)

AstroDreamer

Reaction score
Glad to see your edit, I had no idea what to say hahaha!
A small bag of crushed coral is also really good at raising and maintaining pH, and you don't have to add it every water change :)

I have heard this a lot too. I'm not sure if there are any small bags of it sold near me and don't particularly want to buy a large bag and only use a tiny amount. Is there anywhere online that I can buy a small bag?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I just went to my local fish store (that have marine fish too) and asked for a small bag of it. They had it loose in a box and you can buy as much as you want. I then used a clean stocking/sock thing and tied it closed. You can buy small filter mesh bags which would work as well!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!