The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 15th November 2007   #1
Min

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Min has started on the right path
Default Need help treating my newts illness

Hello, I'm new here and came online to look for help in treating my newt. I've had him for 8 years and this is the first time he's been sick. I was going to do the Dirt Quarantine that is mentioned on this site but thought I would ask for help too, in case someone is familiar with what might be wrong with him.

Here is a picture:
Click the image to open in full size.

Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007   #2
ragon

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ragon has started on the right path

i have never encountered this problem but maybe you should take him to a vet...

ragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007   #3
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

His tail may have gotten caught in a filter intake. Or it could be deteriorating due to some general health or water quality problem. I would recommend amputation, with help from a vet or other qualified person. Are his toes all looking OK?

What kind of newt is it? From the tail, I'm guessing maybe a rough-skinned newt (Taricha)?

Old 23rd June 2019   #4
Min

Nationality:
Default Re: Need help treating my newts illness

I canít believe this post was almost 12 years ago. Chances are no one will read I this but Iím not sure what the tail rotting was but he lived for another 7 years. I still have Marley and heís 23 years old

Old 25th June 2019   #5
Auli
(AuSu)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AuSu has given consistently good advice and informationAuSu has given consistently good advice and informationAuSu has given consistently good advice and information

It's nice to hear that there was a happy end! Was the tail amputzed at that time or did you give some treatments? Do you still remember how long did it take to heal? And was Marley the companion in the same tank? :)

AuSu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2019   #6
Min

Nationality:

It was a home remedy. There are no vets who specialize in newts here. I quarantined him in a dry tank (with access to a small bowl of water) and soaked him in water with triple sulfa for about 10min a day. It took about 2-3 weeks if I recall. At one point I thought he had died but may have been lethargic (hard to tell with a newt lol) so I put him back in his regular tank and he was ok a few days later, minus the tip of his tail. Marley was his tank mate and didnít have any issues *knock on wood lol

Tags
illness, newts, treating