The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
alpenglow

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: alpenglow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving with aquatic newt ??

I'm going to be driving up to college in a few weeks, and I plan on taking my paddletail newt with me. I'm unsure of how to transport him (it'll be a 10-hour car ride). I've seen advice to just put newts in a tubberware with damp moss in an ice box, but given he's fully aquatic I'm worried it would stress him out too much to take him out of the water.

I've transported him before over a much shorter distance (about 10 minutes) by putting him in a tubberware with a few inches of water, but I'm worried this wouldn't hold up over such a long distance. Does anyone have advice / experience with this?

alpenglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
KumquatSquats

Nationality:
Rep: KumquatSquats has started on the right path
Default Re: Moving with aquatic newt ??

Not sure if its 100% the same but i know that to transport axolotls its advised to use a bucket or other dark container with enough water to cover them plus a little extra (but not so much that its going to splash around a lot). I've also seen it advised to use an airstone during transport if you can get a battery powered or usb pump.
If temperature is an issue you could put the bucket in a cooler and even put a bag of ice next to it

KumquatSquats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
alpenglow

Nationality:
Rep: alpenglow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with aquatic newt ??

i've looked into transporting axolotls since making this post, and i figure i'll do something like that for my newt.
is it wise to have something glued down in the middle of the tubberware like one of those cave decorations for him to take refuge in / keep from getting thrown around too much ? or could that be a hazard even when secured by glue ?

alpenglow is offline   Reply With Quote