The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 18th August 2019   #1
kate
(k8rs)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: k8rs is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Found 4 baby salamanders!! any tips/help?

Iím currently in west canada and about a week ago found 4 juvenile salamanders ( or axolotl?? idk the difference) which i am now wanting to keep as pets. i did a LOT of research and my best guess is that they are either long told salamanders or tiger salamanders, they seem to be doing pretty good so far except Iím having trouble finding something that they would eat. so far Iíve tried meal worms and earthworms but I think the problem is that they are too big, but they wonít eat them even when they are cut up. I think Iím going to try going to a bait shop to get something better.

k8rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Found 4 baby salamanders!! any tips/help?

THey may not eat in front of you because salamanders are shy and secretive. Cut them up and leave them on a paper towel, and leave them overnight.

Can you post pics? Then we can see what you got. Do you intend to keep them or let them go?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby axies, baby salamanders, help a member out, help and advice, help and advice needed, tips