The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 2nd July 2018   #1
ACotto27

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ACotto27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP, red cloaca? Raised legs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C44CA474-8A58-4ED7-ACDD-9D771307436D.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	53640

Click image for larger version

Name:	41FBF1D5-19A5-4334-8245-2AFC5E6ACD5D.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	53641

Hey guys, my axolotl just recently pooped after having it stuck half way out for 2 days. His and region is very red and his back legs are raised. Is this something I should worry about?

ACotto27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: HELP, red cloaca? Raised legs.

What is he eating? And do you use a feeding jar/plate to feed? I would recommend taking the sand out until he is bigger if you can. Sand is safe for axolotls except when they're little babies as it can impact them the same way gravel does with adults. This may have caused his issue pooping, and irritated his cloaca.
Fridging might help, or dropping his tank temp down to 10 degrees or so if you have a chiller.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018   #3
ACotto27

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: ACotto27 is an unknown quantity at this point

He eats 1-3 segments of an earthworm everyday(depends on how much he’ll eat) we do have plates in the sand for him to eat off of, unfortunately I’ve had to hand feed him because he won’t hunt around for food. Is there a good way to remove the sand without emptying the water? I’ve considered fridging, but wanted to allow sufficient time for it to pass on its own before resorting to that. I do not have a chiller(they’re way out of my price range lol) but the water is kept 68F-70F during the day, and drops to 64F-66F at night time. This is achieved by placing the tank under our AC vent and having a small desk fan blowing across the surface constantly.

Last edited by ACotto27; 2nd July 2018 at 12:30. Reason: Forgot stuff.
ACotto27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

You can try an aquarium gravel siphon. For me at least when I use it it always sucks up the sand. It will suck up water too but as long as you use lots of buckets you can always put the water back in. Just take your axie out first so the water movement isn't stressful.
Fridging is the best solution to digestion problems as far as I'm aware.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloaca, emergency, help and advice, help and advice needed, raised legs, red, sick axolot