The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 7th September 2018   #1
dsktrn

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: dsktrn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removing sand from axolotl tank

Hi there!

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for removing the residual amounts of sand from the bottom of my axolotl tank (while she's still in there). I've used a dust pan to scoop up most of it and suctioned the rest; however, there's still quite a bit of sand and debris at the bottom that isn't getting sucked up by the vac.

I've bought her new rocks and decorations in hopes of reducing stress that may occur from not having the sand to grip onto and have taken the sand out over a period of time to try not to upset the balance of the aquarium completely. I'm starting to experience a bit of haziness in the tank since doing this, and I'm wondering when I should be worried (if it's bacterial bloom or something of that manner has happened).

Thank you!

dsktrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Removing sand from axolotl tank

The only way to completely remove it all is probably to drain it unfortunately. If you have lots of buckets it'll make it easier as you can just keep the water to refill the tank back up.
The cloudiness could be a bacterial bloom, as a result of the loss of substrate. It should clear up in a few days.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, axolotl, barebottom, remove, sand, substrate, tank