The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 27th January 2019   #1
secondriley

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: secondriley is an unknown quantity at this point
Question White spots? Algae?

I was checking on my axolotl this morning cause her gills looked a little curved, didnít see algae on her gills but there are white spots on her back Iím not sure what are Iíve never noticed them before. If anyone knows what it may be and if I should worry let me know thank you!

secondriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: White spots? Algae?

If you can attach a photo it'll be easier for us to tell what's going on. It may be fungus, what temperature is the water? Can you test the water and post the results as well please.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019   #3
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

That sounds like normal coloration. Fungus usually starts at gills or at a wound. It would be easier to tell from a picture.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019   #4
secondriley

Nationality:
Rep: secondriley is an unknown quantity at this point

Water is at a solid 69 did an 80% waterchange this morning since i try to change the water out on mondays. Everytime ive tried to take a picture of it she turns to look at me and its only on one side of her tail so it may have always been there and i never noticed. Just got worried cause of her gills being a little curved out. Theres a decent amount of sand on her from the water change and the siphoning not pulling all of it out but thats the picture i could get, thats the side the white spots arent on though sadly im gonna keep trying to get a picture of it if i dont see them today though ill let yall know :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7F30E06-1D99-46B5-86CD-648784AB635B.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	54931  

secondriley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, white spots