The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 7th September 2005   #1
quintin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Does anyone know any good sites for Cynops orientalis larvae in Oakville or any good places to get?
but I have a question does anyone think it would be a good idea getting newts at big al's because they look pretty heathy but i'm just a begginer
Oh and eastern newt larvae

(Message edited by newt on September 07, 2005)

Old 8th September 2005   #2
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Cynops orientalis are native to China, not the N/A.

Most other newts have morphed and are on land now.

For 'just a beginner', I'd recommend buying something captive bred. If you buy something wildcaught, or catch it yourself, you run more of a risk having to deal with parasites and/or other diseases. Getting an 'easy' starter animal and learning the tricks of the trade is better than just going out and getting anything.

Old 8th September 2005   #3
ian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Cynops Orientalis larvae are available at my house. haha...let me see. maybe I can give some to you. Since I have have two adults still laying eggs.

And I just want to advice you that it is illegal to purchase or sale native amphibian in Canada. Ontarian are not allowed to keep more than one animal of a native species and more than one species.

For more details in legal issue, refer to http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/csb/news/jan5nr99.html and look into wildlife in captivity.

Why do I know? because I also wanted to keep a tank of Eastern newt and spotted salamander... This is a pain...

(Message edited by achiinto on September 08, 2005)

Old 8th September 2005   #4
quintin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Joan I know they aren't in canada but they are selling them at a fish store near my house...well sort of

(Message edited by newt on September 08, 2005)

Old 8th September 2005   #5
quintin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

ARG man that is a pain..and just so you know I'm just really hoping I can get a newt..but if I do alot of research on the animal and know everything i need(what I did to get me gecko lol) then my parents will probably let me have one but this time I might have to pay for everythingClick the image to open in full size.

Old 9th September 2005   #6
quintin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Oh and by sites I meant web sites.

Old 10th September 2005   #7
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

You'd be better off getting one from a captive breeder.

Tags
good, larvae, newt, oakville, places

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 22nd September 2019, 06:33 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.