The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 16th June 2009   #1
Dana
(vistajpdf)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: vistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Shedding larva C. Orietalis

My 3 mo. old larva with the shrinking gills is shedding around his neck. I don't think my adults have ever shed but I've read that they do shed and have seen posts here about it. Is it common for the larva to shed?

Dana

vistajpdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009   #2
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Shedding larva C. Orietalis

Yes, itīs probably itīs very first shed. They start shedding during metamorphosis, in order to develop their new terrestrial and substantially different skin(new life, new skin). The larva must be within hours of completing metamorphosis, iīve only seen it happen in the last stages of the process.
The adults sure shed, but since itīs a rather quick process and they most times eat the skin, you just donīt notice.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009   #3
Dana
(vistajpdf)

Nationality:
Rep: vistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhael View Post
Yes, itīs probably itīs very first shed. They start shedding during metamorphosis, in order to develop their new terrestrial and substantially different skin(new life, new skin). The larva must be within hours of completing metamorphosis, iīve only seen it happen in the last stages of the process.
The adults sure shed, but since itīs a rather quick process and they most times eat the skin, you just donīt notice.

I can still see small gills - should I move him to a terrestrial set-up now? I clearly see a layer of skin floating alongside his forearms. It is still attached to him. He's made no attempt to get off the aquarium's floor whatsoever.

Dana

Old 16th June 2009   #4
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Wait for it to go on land by itself. Once it gets out ten move it. It will complete shedding the skin and eat it, donīt worry.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009   #5
Dana
(vistajpdf)

Nationality:

Oh Azhael, I wish I wasn't such a worrier! I'm afraid this foursome would put out a restraining order on me if they could as I've become their stalker!

I took out a couple of inches of water leaving just over 2" and added some other things that just about or do break the surface - an aquarium type of log, a tree type of decoration, and more fake floating plants. I have no live plants but feel I should venture into them next.

Thanks for holding my hand through these past 3 months - I do appreciate it!

Dana

Tags
larva, orietalis, shedding