The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Taxonomy, Phylogenetics & Evolution For the discussion of species naming, origins and the related sciences.

Old 28th October 2013   #1
Jefferson

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Pygmy Salamander Taxonomy

I was browsing the internet's numerous Appalachian herping posts this morning when I realized that somebody had posted a find as what they referred to as Desmognathus organi, or the Northern Pygmy Salamander. Upon further research, I realized that many scientists have now split the Pygmy Sally into a northern and southern class at the French Broad River (Just like the dividing line for Black-chinned and Blue Ridge Reds). However, naherp, the national herp site, and many other reputable sources still have the species as one. As someone who had found Pygmy Sallies north and south of the French Broad, I was wondering what everyone else thinks about this one.

Old 29th October 2013   #2
FrogEyes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Pygmy Salamander Taxonomy

I am familiar with the paper and accept the change. It's freely available from the CNAH library (file 1586.pdf).

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote