Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Petition Seeks Strict Protection for 53 US Herps: What’s Your Opinion?

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve recently posted information concerning a petition that seeks Endangered Species Act protection for 53 US herps. Many readers applauded the news, but some were concerned about potential limitations on their ability to keep protected species. As they correctly pointed out, responsible pet owners have made important contributions to the conservation of many species (please see article below). In the course of my work as a zoologist, I’ve often dealt with federal, state and international permits, and continue to assist zoos with related issues. Today I’d like to explain a bit more about this proposal, which was championed by the Center for Biological Diversity, and how it may impact target species in the wild and captivity. I’ve also summarized the status of several rare species that receive very little protection as of now. Read article here: Reptile & Amphibian Conservation - Protection Sought for 53 US Natives | That Reptile Blog.

Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog
Face Book Frank Indiviglio | Facebook

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I fully support this. I also support expensive licensing, permits and strict enforcement. I see no reason for any exceptions nor do I see any defense against the concept. Statistic data proves that most folks have no business keeping animals.

Far too many pet owners should not be able to have any pets, let alone children.

Now, before the flamespraying starts, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I accept this. However, as it was asked, this is my opinion on the subject.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have long thought an animal keeping license (with a cool animal keeper card included) is a necessary thing.
I too support strict protections.

Lamb

Reaction score
I agree that there needs to be more control regarding keeping and collecting herps. I understand the attraction to the rare and hard to find, but I don't believe that threatened or endangered herps should be kept by hobbyists. I believe captive animals of that nature would best serve not only the needs of their species but also of our society if they are kept by zoos, universities, research facilities, etc., with the express caveat that these organizations are involved in educational outreach. And that's not to say that hobbyists or passionate herp keepers don't do great jobs at caring for animals, some do. Equally, some employees working for the previously mentioned organizations aren't capable keepers.

I think another important step would be to have an actual herp collecting license. As it stands in the majority of states, herp collection can be done under a general fishing licence. This means that the money from the licence goes to fishing organizations, not herp oriented organizations. That money could be an important source of funding for protection, management, and research. This whole concept was relayed to me by a friend who heard someone else discuss it at the most recent world herp conference.

Ominojacu

Reaction score
I believe conservation is about preserving nature. The problem however with ownership bans is that they do not also put the same emphasis on preserving natural environments. So in many cases we hobbiest get to sit by and watch as our favorite species is plowed under to make way for a parking lot, while being poo-pooed for wanting to own an endangered species. I can't legally own a Scarlet Snake in Maryland, but everyday I see town house projected destroying potential habitat. Collecting should be regulated, but real emphasis on protection needs to be the preservation of habitat, that is my opinion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!