Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possible loophole for salamander ban

K

KaprosuchusKarl

I may have found a loophole concerning the salamander/newt ban. In the document it only talks about how the 20 genera of salamander are prohibited if alive or dead specimens of the salamander species are transported. Technically the eggs of such species aren't banned under such regulations.What I am saying here is even if the ban takes place, we can still ship, and receive the eggs. http://www.fws.gov/injuriouswildlife/pdf_files/List-of-Salamander-Species.pdf
Please tell me if I am correct on this.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
You are, and other people have already noticed it. The only problem, you would have to send the eggs as soon as they are laid, because of their development

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. Note that the new rule is an "interim rule", and this loophole could be closed in the final version. It is likely to be many months until the final version comes out.

I've shipped a lot of eggs. It helps to assemble a list of people who are interested BEFORE the newts lay the eggs, so you have time to organize shipping details and payments. In my experience, eggs ship well during early/middle developmental stages, but if they hatch in transit they usually die (not sure why). I use breathable plastic bags with just a tiny bit of water, but there are alternatives that also work.

Karp

Reaction score
I was wondering about this as well. Good to know it will be possible to at least ship eggs interstate for the time being.

Jgreen84

Reaction score
Not a loophole. The department has specifically stated the eggs can not be shipped.

" "Swabs that are fixed in formalin or alcohol are not exempted in the injurious wildlife rule. Therefore, these items are included as "parts" in the rule consistent with the definition of “wildlife” outlined in 50 CFR Part 10.12, which "includes any part, product, egg, or offspring
thereof.”

https://www.fws.gov/injuriouswildlife/pdf_files/Bsal_Q_A_Document_FINAL.pdf

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Actually, eggs were specifically exempted from the ban. The Lacey Act provisions refer to eggs [logically, since fertile eggs are the same animal as their parents], but the salamander listing specifies that eggs are exempt.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
The Service is not adding eggs or gametes because Bsal does not appear to affect reproductive tissue such as eggs or gametes.
https://www.fws.gov/policy/library/2016/2016-00452.pdf

PART 16—[AMENDED] ■ 1. The authority citation for part 16 continues to read as follows: Authority: 18 U.S.C. 42. ■ 2. Revise §16.14 to read as follows: §16.14 Importation of live or dead amphibians or their eggs. (a) The importation, transportation, or acquisition of any live or dead specimen, including parts, but not eggs or gametes, of the genera Chioglossa, Cynops, Euproctus, Hydromantes, Hynobius, Ichthyosaura, Lissotriton, Neurergus, Notophthalmus, Onychodactylus, Paramesotriton, Plethodon, Pleurodeles, Salamandra, Salamandrella, Salamandrina, Siren, Taricha, Triturus, and Tylototriton, including but not limited to, the species listed in this paragraph, is prohibited except as provided under the terms and conditions set forth at §16.22 of this part:

They listed Ommatotriton as a clear error, since the taxonomy they use implies validity of this genus, but they included it as a single species of "Triturus". The scientific expertise involved was quite questionable as well, since they listed "Triturus hongkongensis", a clear and objective junior synonym of Paramesotriton hongkongensis. [that is, contrary to their text, it is absolutely clear what species this is, despite the outdated name].

Blackbun

Reaction score
The whole ban thing is rightly designed to protect the various species yet you have a president who will allow the draining of wetlands and 'clean' coal polluting water ways. Seems a contradiction to me! The very survival of these amphibians may well eventually rest with the people who have a passionate interest in them and who may need to cross state lines to acquire them or exchange genetic materials.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1