The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 17th January 2018   #1
Chloe
(kumamon)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kumamon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rescued axie with purple lump on his neck

Hi,

I took in a little guy who was housed in terrible condition to attempt to get him back to health.

He has a list of issues, but the only issue I'm unsure how to treat is the strange purple lump on his neck.

I don't think it has enlarged since I got him but it definitely hasn't gotten smaller. The colour seems to be.. intensifying. Today it seems to have a small black dot, kind of like a blackhead pimple. I don't feel comfortable squeezing it, nor do I think that is even possible without causing him pain.

Should I get him antibiotics or just wait and see.

Thank you in advance!

- Chloe

(also if the pictures attach.. sorry about the bad quality, I didn't want to turn the flash on and bother him).

kumamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Rescued axie with purple lump on his neck

Can you post a picture?
Thanks
Also see the care articles link in my sig and scroll down to "health and illness."

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018   #3
Chloe
(kumamon)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kumamon is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry! I didnít notice that the photos didnít post. This was him a couple days ago (sorry for bad quality, I didnít want to turn the flash on). Iíll upload pictures of it today as it seems to have popped. Itís extremely red and what came out (or at least I think) is like a long stringy red... thing. It could be poop but Iím not entirely sure because I was away yesterday and only got back today. He isnít looking very healthy so I donít think he is going to make it but I am trying to do my best for him.

Thank you for you help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0EF9EC30-1CE2-413A-9285-BD823BDE5855.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	52452   Click image for larger version

Name:	1555B6AB-422D-4E30-8593-EC50EFDC6D2E.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	513.3 KB
ID:	52453  

kumamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

So something popped out of that? I think I might just keep an eye on it and hope that better living conditions will allow it to heal.
If you can take it to the vet, that is always a good option.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axie, axie baby, axolotl, axolotl advice, baby axolotl, rescue axolotl, sick axolotl