The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 21st March 2004   #1
zachary

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hey guys~

I am looking through some of my salamander books and I was curious what species of plethodontids are kept easily and are readily available?? I have kept namley ambystoma opacum/tigrium, any info on availibility or your thoughts on a hardy/easy species is much appreciated.

Old 22nd March 2004   #2
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

That's a pretty broad question. Are you looking at keeping species that are available to you locally?

RUSS

Old 22nd March 2004   #3
zachary

Gallery Images:
Comments:

No, it doesn't have to be locally, just a hardy species that I can keep to open up my horizons to different families of salamanders.

Old 22nd March 2004   #4
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I would start with a local species if you have any large Pleths that are legal to pick up. Where are you at?

Old 22nd March 2004   #5
zachary

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I like in Western MA, Springfield area if that helps. The only salamanders I have ever found locally are red backs(very abundant, or well used to be) and spotted salamanders. Thanks!

Old 23rd March 2004   #6
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Most are relatively easy to keep. Probably the only issue you run into is access to the correct size food if you try keeping one of the smaller species. Watch the adds here and just quiz the seller about the care for that specific type.

RUSS

Old 23rd March 2004   #7
zachary

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Alright thanks Russ

Tags
plethodontids

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 2 (Set)

AdvythAF, Jan