What is this?

ticonick

Reaction score
Country
United States
ax2.jpg

oh okay thanks, it was on a blog about axolotl, and i was confused because it looks like it had hind legs and i thought maybe it was an amphibian that i hadn't heard of.

Lol! Why on earth would you post a question about marine fish on a newt and salamander forum? Let alone in the advanced topic section! Surely there's a website somewhere for beginners Ellasmobranchii questions! :lol:

Looks like a photo shop chimaera to me. Always pays to take some internet sites and blogs with a pinch of salt

Yes, I can see it now, post #6 must have been waiting to be approved because it wasn't there when I commented. I know I shouldn't be messing about in this bit of the forum, so sorry ticonic! It just struck me funny that it was in the advanced section.

I don't think it's photoshopped. The pelvic fins of stingrays are mostly or completely hidden under the rear edge of the pectoral fins [the "rays"]. In males especially, they're modified to resemble legs and are known as claspers, used to grasp the female for internal fertilization. I don't see anything in that picture which doesn't look like normal ray anatomy.

I've been keeping/breeding stingrays for about 7 years and not only does this look like a normal ray, it looks like a very young pup. I don't know what species of ray, however, other than marine (versus the 3 freshwater species I keep).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back