Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

S.s terrestris eye problem

Shazza17

Reaction score
Hey everyone I was doing a water dish change this morning for my female S.s terrestris and I noticed one of her eyes looks quite inflamed and is cloudy in colour. She has been off her food for the past few weeks so i removed her from the male about 3 weeks ago to reduce stress and im really worried about her! I think i should take her to the vets but i was wondering if anyone has encountered anything like this before or may know the cause??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 534

Blackbun

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this Shazza. Found this in a Google,

5. Eye cloudiness. When a frog’s or salamander’s immune system is depressed, the integrity of the lens is often one of the first things affected by pathogens. Inappropriate water quality (such as too acidic or too hard) and high levels of toxins in the water will also affect the lens. Cloudy eyes are usually secondary to other problems. In rare cases, trauma to the head and orbit can lead directly to an infection in the eye.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!