Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

American Plethodontids survey

Jefferson

Reaction score
This is a survey of sorts. I am wondering what everyone's favorite states are to find plethodontids in. My personal favorites are Ohio, Tennessee, and Virgnia.

Aneides

Reaction score
Oregon is my favorite because, while it may not have diversity, has many wonderful species.
I still remember my lifer Plethodon larselli to this day!

Aneides

Jefferson

Reaction score
I've always wanted to go to the PNW, but I haven't been able to. Personally, the reasons that Tennessee and Ohio are my favorites are that in TN, I found a Red-Cheeked Salamander on my first serious sally expedition, and I found 75 Cave sallies (state endangered, in my Going into the dark post) in an OH springhouse. Salamandering is a tough hobby to explain to anyone, but I explain it quite simply, it's ten days of researching hell followed by twenty minutes of pure heaven, you see new places, and get closer to nature. I feel like I'm Ralph Waldo Emerson while I'm salamandering. I have to get out to Oregon and Washington sometime. I'm sort of curious, if you've ever salamandered in Appalachia, how would you say the sally streams differ out there?
Watch out for earthquakes, lahars, tsunamis, and the like, Jefferson

Jefferson

Reaction score
Although I've only had the opportunity to herp a small part of that state, I did find it amazing. Nothing beats Mount Rogers Rec Area! (Except maybe GSMNP)

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Mount Rogers is my absolute all time favorite place to herp. I may be biased though since it's less than 2 hours from me, has wild horses, 37 species of caudates (31 of which are Plethodontids!) and you can collect herps throughout most of the area.

jaster

Reaction score
I think living in North Carolina is the reason I love this state for herping in general. WNC has all the plethodons I need. This state also encompasses a huge variety of habitat that is fairly close. Couldn't ask for much more.

Other than here, I loved California. The Sierras and the northwestern forests are just awesome places to walk around, and they have a good bunch of salamanders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!