Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What insect is this??

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
What kind of a roach is this and are these safe for my amphibians?? are they giant burrowing roaches or beetle roach?:sad:

Attachments

• dubia.jpg
    dubia.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 899
  • dubia2.jpg
    dubia2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 579
  • dubia3.jpg
    dubia3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 600
  • dubia4.jpg
    dubia4.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 584
  • what is this.jpg
    what is this.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 7,043

Zhinigami

Reaction score
no idea but if you try i think you should either decapacitate them or crush their heads, they seems quite big and might have powerfull jaws.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A little bird told me they're Pycnoscelus femapterus. For amphibians, I would use freshly molted roaches.

A quick search turned up this: Femapterus on the other hand have both males and females, only the males have wings and are quite a bit smaller. Fair warning nymphs are small really small. Also larger surinamensis nymphs can climb smooth surfaces and adult Male femapterus can flutter and climb, but both species spend more of their time buried. Thay like to burrow so proved them a good 2 inches of dry substrate I use a mix of leaf litter, cocofiber, sand and coconut chunk. Other than that these guys are easy to breed and keep and should make a good feeder.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
A little bird told me they're Pycnoscelus femapterus. For amphibians, I would use freshly molted roaches.

A quick search turned up this: Femapterus on the other hand have both males and females, only the males have wings and are quite a bit smaller. Fair warning nymphs are small really small. Also larger surinamensis nymphs can climb smooth surfaces and adult Male femapterus can flutter and climb, but both species spend more of their time buried. Thay like to burrow so proved them a good 2 inches of dry substrate I use a mix of leaf litter, cocofiber, sand and coconut chunk. Other than that these guys are easy to breed and keep and should make a good feeder.

why are they dying! i lost a male the one in the pic and also why are their abdomens cut up like that? i didnt even hurt them! look at the pic of the male(last pic) you see it there. he was the one who died and also what can i feed them? will they eat carrots and cabbage? and also how wil i know if my culture is success? and also do they go up of the substrate to eat food on top? and also is it ok if i keep digging their setup substrate up everyday just to check if they are dying or what?and why are they so hard to find even if i dig it up are they hiding or what? i get nervous that if i didnt see much roaches i would think that they have died! please help me 1st time

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!