Feeding axolotl tadpoles can trigger metamorphosis?

tipnatee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
NYC Axolotl
I found an odd comment on Pinterest

Catherine Caraca King Henry VIII School, Abergavenny
"If you feed them tadpoles it can trigger their transformation into a salamander, which is painful and life shortening, growing eyelids hurts. So avoid tadpoles."

Really? Like How? :nono:

Last year I fed my axolotl some tadpole cause I got a whole lots of them cheap. My axie couldn't get enough of them. I thought about getting some more this year but then I saw this. Though I doubt that is true ... It kinda stop me from buying :(

So that's why my axolotl had such a big huge head . :eek: I posted about it a few days ago. They actually stop standing on their head sleeping cause they body starting to grow heavy enough to weight down . But why? What in tad pole that cause the axolotl to grew a large skull ?

They said " you are what you eat" is more true than most science fiction.

This year comparison

First the leucistic I bought from seller (4")that feed the only pellets , their heads and body so much more slimmer their skin smoother than the axolotl I raise . Looks almost like entire different species. Kinda delicate looking more angelic looks to it.
With the one I raised this year I feed them from birth live food only never once frozen nor pellet ever since after they hatched with live new hatched brine shrimp, after that I raised them with live California black worms. Now they are over 5-6 inches and feeding on young live European night crawler . I noticed that their heads are huge their skin stop looking so smooth and more stubbles since they were just 3 inches their gills are big and bushy and body thick and stocky kinda look like a troll .. A Beautiful troll I mean lol :D And that's not even compared to the last year batch which long sold out last year, those looks very much like bobbing head dolls and those were the one that I fed the tadpoles. I don't have picture any more cause it was in my old netbook that was in an accident and I lost all files on it. But I'm telling you, it's freaky how food can change so much appearance in axolotl I wonder are there any experiment on that ? I like to know how far it can goes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back