Tiger Sal poop?

ravenous

Reaction score
Country
United States
weird question, but I have a trio of "Texas Barred" tigers. They have been happily co-existing in their new tank for about 3 weeks. I can't seem to locate feces, and I've read they defecate a lot. The substrate is coconut fibre mixed with organic topsoil. I'm used to keeping lizards and was expecting more defined poop. It almost looks like I don't need to clean the tank? There's no smell either, just that nice "forest dampness" aroma...

I use the Exo-Terra brand coconut fibre substrate in my tiger tank and my tiger seems to love it. On the package, it says that the coconut fibre breaks down wastes and odor. I haven't really had much of a problem with waste with her, as the substrate seems to break it down nicely. But once in a while, I'll see she's used her water dish as a toilet.
happy.gif

I'd still clean the tank every so often, though, because I'm certain that the coconut substrate isn't a substitute for proper tank maintenance.

The poo looks like little brown (ish, depending on what you're feeding) footballs. I remove what I can (I use compact topsoil for my Ambystomids) and the rest gets broken down by the springtails.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back