Algae in gravel

oregon newt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Will
What does it mean when you start to get algae in your gravel? Does that mean your gravel is dirty or is it just algae growing?

It could be a number of things. More info about your water changes, temperatures, light levels and duration, etc will give a clearer picture.

My newt tanks don't really grow algae, but one of my fish tanks has a chronic case of algae film that spreads over the gravel.
The fish tank was second hand and the algae came with it in a scratch in the glass. I can't do anything about it except stay on top of it.

I don't believe that it is a contamination. Wether or not algae grow is a matter of conditions. Mostly light an nutrient levels. unbalanced N/P ratios are often the problem

I have a flourescent light for a 29 gallon tank on it. I do a 25% water change every 2 weeks and the ammonia is 0. The light from the window also hits the tank sometimes. The temp. is usually 60 degrees. What's n/p mean?

algae growth is normally down to high nitrate levels and light, can you get some floating plants ie duck weed to shade the tank a bit.

If it really is a thin film that is not really well attached it is most likely blue-green algae. These indicate an excess of phosphorous.
How are your plants doing? if they are doing well and the algae are not to bad there is no problem. If your plants stop growing but the algae thrive there is something wrong.

Actually, I don't have any live plants in there. I think it's the same kind of algae I get in my fish tank. What is the algae that is commonly seen in fish tanks and other tanks? There's a picture of it where I show my 29 gallon T. gran tank. It's under
Photos & Pictures of Enclosures, Vivaria, etc

There are many different types of algae.
But I hardly see any algae in these pictures, not problematic anyway.

(I never unerstood the advantage of fake plants but it seems to be common in the US)

A little algae is a GOOD thing because it indicates that the tank is cycling and becoming a complete ecosystem. You didn't answer about how much water you remove and how often - this is critical in keeping algae under control. Also, it's good it allow some algae to grow in places where you don't mind the appearance - having some algae discourages more from growing.

Sorry. I usually remove about 25% every 2 weeks.

If natural light strikes your tank you will have algae regardless of whatever supplemental light you may have.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back