Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Preparing earth worms ....?

Miss

Reaction score
I feed my axolotls earth worms but i wonder if there is a correct way of preparing the worms before feeding? basically i just go to the back garden (no chemicals or pesticides used up there at all) and dig a hole, find a few worms, rinse them under the tap and throw them in the tank one at a time until the axolotls eat 1 or 2 each.

is this a acceptable way ? or do they need extra preparation? as my axolotls are pretty big so i never chop them. but i wonder if the dirt INSIDE the worms are ok and not harmful ?

earth worms are probably the thing they eat most with small live fish (mollie and platy fry) and shrimp also sharing the tank being eaten as time goes by. have never seen them take a pellet (the shrimp like the pellets and seam to eat them, but the axolotls have never touched them as far as i know)

rebel

Reaction score
hey

there isnt really a correct way, i do the same for my Newts although occasionaly i chop them up, place each bit on the end of tooth pick so My newts and eat small peices, Also stops the worm from tunniling under the gravel

Hope this helps

:violent:rebel:violent:

martasauce

Reaction score
That's all the preparation I put into my earth worms.

As long as the ground is free from pesticide etc, then there will be nothing in the worms that an axolotl wouldn't encounter in the wild.

Miss

Reaction score
okay thanks... there is no gravel so they never get to escape. They always get eaten while i am watching within seconds.... if they dont eat it then i would get it out again because they can hide in the plants and moss and die and pollute the water... but as if my axolotls would let that happen... :p they get them EVERY time ! :D

Green frog

Reaction score
i put them in a sieve and run the hose through them on a 'shower setting.
just gets rid of the dirt and some of the slime = less muck in tank. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!