Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

E.hortensis culture advice.

askab

Reaction score
to disencourage mass breakouts i simply put one thin layer of wet newspaper on top of the wormsubstrate and on top of the wet layer i put 3-5 dry layer.
It seems that the change from very moist to very dry draws them back.

I also experimented with lights but that seemed to much effort for me. Can't have a light burning all day and night just for a few worms... no no :sick:

One or two wormes will in my opinion always try to crawl away. so what. if its only the occasional one or two...

Logan

Reaction score
My E.hortensis culture has been set up since January 2011. We try to put as much produce scraps as possible in there as well as any egg shells. The substrate is organic soil and I cover the top of the substrate with weed barrier cloth. This seems to keep the worms in. I purchased the largest rubbermaid bin I could find and cut some ventilation in the lid and covered that with fine mesh cloth. The soil is about 8 inches deep. I may make it deeper soon. This has worked great and I always have lots and lots of worms.
Logan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!