Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Got a hold of some A. Opacums.

Shadow

Reaction score
Hey guys, I believe these are captive bred, however there's always that uncertainty that there not. Anyway, I can provide the best life I can for these little 'uns. I am told they are a sexed pair, so going to research on breeding but as I'm aware, I'm a little too late (They breed in Autumn right?).

Here are some photo's, I must apologise for the rubbish quality, my good camera was not working.

Attachments

• IMAG0083.jpg
    IMAG0083.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 499
  • IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 352
  • IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0085.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 410
  • IMAG0086.jpg
    IMAG0086.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 384
  • IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 382
  • IMAG0088.jpg
    IMAG0088.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 351

Shadow

Reaction score
Quick update: One was having a little wander about and got him to eat a piece of earthworm. Wouldn't take it from tweezers yet, so dropped it in front of him and he gobbled it. I'm so proud..

Shadow

Reaction score
Sorry for trip posting,

Is it okay to let Earthworms loose in the substrate? And would the Sallies be okay with it? Seeing as they are pretty shy and haven't seen them since the other night, would they be able to locate them and take them as food?

Many thanks.

obrowell

Reaction score
Having earthworms on the loose is perfectly fine, although obviously a little hit and miss. I also stocked my marbled viv with loads of woodlice, which mine loved. I did feed the odd cricket and waxie too. Glad they've settled in for you.

evut

Reaction score
Free roaming worms aren't a problem, it's probably a good idea to stock the vivarium with living food. I regularly add little slugs and worms and I'm planning to culture some woodlice as well. I have seen them take pieces of nightcrawlers so whenever I catch some I feed them as well.

Infamous82

Reaction score
Yes it is fine to just put worms in with them and let them "free" feed, just keep an eye out for weightloss. They usually breed in winter, typically Dec.- Feb. and usually move to their breeding pools on rainy nights

Shadow

Reaction score
Having earthworms on the loose is perfectly fine, although obviously a little hit and miss. I also stocked my marbled viv with loads of woodlice, which mine loved. I did feed the odd cricket and waxie too. Glad they've settled in for you.

I've seen you on RFUK :rolleyes:

What are woodlice like in the tank? Do they breed regularly? I had a little dig of mine earlier and tried feeding worms again with no luck. So I left them in there. Hopefully will be luck.

Thanks guys!

obrowell

Reaction score
Ha Ha, you have indeed!

I just dumped a load in there and left them to it. As I kept mine on plantation soil they didn't bury into moss etc. so were easier to find. They did breed as I found little ones months later, but not enough to establish a colony. I am lucky that I have access to loads of woodlice, slugs etc so have a constant supply of salamander food. As already said, slugs are another winner with these. It took a few months for mine to tong feed and only because they seemed to favour a hide spot that was easy to access - they used to hide under cork bark pieces so I didn't need to disturb them too much when I went to feed. I would dangle the worms in open entrance to their piece of bark and then they would come out to gobble, before retreating back under the bark. The same method worked with my spotted salamanders too.

I have a couple of pics of the sals I used to keep on my profile page. I've had to downsize my collection substantially as my wife and I are expecting our first child in March. In terms of salamanders, I only have the tigers, but I do intend to build the collection up again soon. Hope some of this helps?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1