Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Different types of worms

F

frank

Hi,
I have a worm farm that I use to compost all my household green waste, it has tiger worms in it (Eisenia Foetida), but it also has smaller white coloured worms that I think are
Entrachyadids, my axolotls are still too little to take the tiger worms yet, (the biggest is only 4cm!) will the entrachyadids be okay?

J

jennifer

The white worms should be OK for the axolotls. But a diet of mainly white worms may not be the best nutrition. Vary them with other foods. It may help to culture (or gutload) the whiteworms separately, feeding them fish food or axolotl pellets before you use them.

W

wm.

I would like to raise worms for food to my newts. I would rather not like to compost. I want a worm that everybody will eat. I now use Canadian Night Crawlers. They are large so I have to cut them up. Either young CNC or another smaller worm would be better. Any suggestions?

J

jameswei

a question i wouldlike to ask, is it possible to be allergic to earthworms? i swore that as i was holding the europenan nightcrawler my throat and lungs started to give way... maybe i was imagining things... or maybe it was something else... but has anyone heard of such an allergen..

J

jennifer

Gordon, you might want to try an experiment with CNC (Lumbricus terrestris) and see if you can get them to reproduce. I've heard that they need different growing conditions than the compost worms, but I've never tried to grow them. The main thing though is that they need to be cool... they don't like to get over 70F. And I suspect that they reproduce very slowly.

James, I have heard of people being allergic to blackworms or to bloodworms (two separate allergies). So it's entirely possible that you could be allergic to earthworms (which are very closely related to blackworms).

W

worried

My axolotls have been loving the white worms I've been feeding them, and are now of a size where they seem to be big enough to eat baby tiger worms from the worm far, so I gave some to them last night, one gobbled his/her one down in an instant, the others seemed not to like them, and spat them out. Then a couple of hours later the one who had eaten the worm started vomitting! Any ideas why? The worms seemed to have dirt in their tummies, as worms do, would that have made the axie sick? But if that is so, I don't understand how they could eat earth worms at all....

M

macbean

It is unlikely you have had an allergic reaction to earthworms from the details you have given. The most common indication of an allergic reaction to a substance/animal is for a rash to develop around the skin that came into contact with it.
However it may just be your developing hayfever

K

kelly

Your axolotl could be being sick because of the yellow-green excretions of the tiger worms (Eisenia Foetida) as posted in Culturing Earthworms thread in this forum (sorry I haven't worked out how to post a link to that thread, maybe someone else can help?). I don't really know anything about worms but I thought I'd point out the link between your axie problem and the other thread. Hope it helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!