Distinct A. macrodactylum foot waving?

noneofmany

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright, It's good be back after like year. I got busy with some heavy duty consrtuction for an aquarium room and got focused on fish for too long. That's for another post though.

I'm writing this one because of a very peculier behavior I have seen in my long toes that I can't find any presidence for.

Every once and a while my long toes will slightly lift their back legs into the air and wave them with a distinct rolling motion that that makes their toes and ankles undulate in a well coordinated pattern.

It looks alot like a flag waving in the wind. It is a very different behavior from the unken reflex they do when frightened. It doesn't happen when their scared but when their about to recieve food and they know it.

I'm quite baffled by this display and I don't realy understand what point is since if it were a lure anything it attracted would be too large for it to eat and it appearently has no effect on the other salamanders.

I know some frogs use waves to comunicate but have never heard of a cadate doing it.

Has anyone else had a simular experiece?

Idk haha weird my male dart frogs kinda dance a bit during courtship though :)

Well, I would say they do it for some reason, that I don't know though. But maybe they are showing off how long their toes are? Just kidding haha.

My guess is that it is some sort of courtship thing. However I want to ask a few questions.

1. When they do it is it in front of another A. macrodactylum? And dou you know which ones are males and which ones are females?
2. Is it the males or females that do it or both?
3. is it just one individual that does it?

It is maybe possible that it is like what alpine newts do to wave their pheromones towards the female? Except with their feet?

You stumped me on this one!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back