Bought some presents for myself (Salamandra s. Terrestris)

Like I said, I was reluctant to accept that my research wasn't as solid as I would have liked to think. Sorry for coming across so hostile, but I think we have come to the conclusion that I can't keep more than a couple of species in it so you don't have to keep telling me. Despite what you might like to think, I am not stupid, nor do I wish to harm the animals in any way at all. I am going to keep my S.s.terrestris and some Hyla Aroborea in the vivarium.

Stuart

I don't think you came across hostile.
I was simply stating that I will trust your research, but that there are no guarantees of them not hurting each other. Then again, some species will harm others of the same species, it is just something that happens sometimes. Then I said that I would be interested in the results if you did keep them together, simply because I find it a interesting idea that would be nice to know the results of. I am not sure where you got the idea that we were calling you stupid or that you wish to harm your animals, I know you aren't and don't. Sorry if my post came across as offensive in any way, it wasn't meant to be offensive.

I don't think you came across hostile.
I was simply stating that I will trust your research, but that there are no guarantees of them not hurting each other. Then again, some species will harm others of the same species, it is just something that happens sometimes. Then I said that I would be interested in the results if you did keep them together, simply because I find it a interesting idea that would be nice to know the results of. I am not sure where you got the idea that we were calling you stupid or that you wish to harm your animals, I know you aren't and don't. Sorry if my post came across as offensive in any way, it wasn't meant to be offensive.

Don't worry, i wasn't talking about you. I was also unclear about where the species I mentioned we're going to be kept, I only intended to keep H.arborea, P.lessonae and S.s.terrestris in the enclosure. And as I mentioned the P.lessonae I have are from a supposedly small group. I am starting to build up my collection, I am going to be buying buying six new tanks and buy lots (about 15) 60-100 litre storage boxes and convert them to vivariums. Which, believe it or not do actually make good vivariums if you make the lids suitable and choose makes that will not leeche harmful chemicals. I think this is where the confusion arose, I did not state that they would all be in species-only vivariums/tanks, I just listed the species I am planning on getting which I imagine made people think that I was going to shove them all in the vivarium together. But, thanks to Rodrigo's advice I will only be keeping H.arborea and S.s.terrestris in the outdoor vivarium, with the possibility of maybe adding a smaller species like B.variegata at a later date. So, you'll be happy to hear (and I am glad you told me!) that the pool frogs will be kept in a species only vivarium due to their predatory nature.

Stuart

I look forward to seeing your results! I am trying to investigate some outdoor terraria here too, but afraid I am not sure I want to chance them in the hottest and coldest months. I'll probably wait until I have excess offspring to experiment with.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back