Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2 new axies: 1 sick, 1 nasty!

N

new

Have just bought 2 new axies-2 days ago, both 6mnths old-so shop tells me. 1 is a gorgoeus pink albino-very active, strong & healthy looking, excellent appetite but dominant. The other is a very sick & mutilated black one. the sick one is not actually the one we picked out but we didn't know until we got home that the pet shop got that one out for us!(I was tempted to go back but I wanted to make sure it was cared for-so we ended up keeping it!) So here I am hoping for guidance that I am on the right path to helping the poor thing!

To start with, it has white spots all over its body-I don't know if that's it's colouring or not, but from what I have read-it's not common and is more likely fungus?? I don't have dig cam-but may get pics soon...Secondly it has chunks out of all of it's gills-no where near as fluffy as the albino-only about a 1/3 remaining. A small chunk out of it's cheek, nearly a centimetre off the end of it's tail and it's only got half of a front leg (the other half was previously dangling but it fell off in it's first sea salt bath-which after research I felt it needed desperately!). Would it be in pain? Thirdly it won't eat-the albino was stealing it's food before I separated them-but still won't eat. Fourthly, it goes up for air atleast every 10 mins-MUCH more frequently than the albino-but that's prob bcoz of gill prob hey?!

I didn't know until half hr ago that u need the tank set up atleast 2 wks before u get them! We got home, rinsed out everything, filled tank, added water conditioner, set up filter-then put them in. What should I do? it's an 80L tank-now divided into 2. Albino seems quite content in new surroundings-so assume all is fine?

But wait...there is more-sorry!! Also, I didn't want to keep them separate-will it be ok to take away the barrier once the sick one is better and eating again? The albino isn't aggressive but it definately dominant ver sick one. trial and error?

Thankyou so much!

C

claire

take them both out of the tank until it is fully cycled.then put them in separate containers or tanks until you know whether the black axie is well or not. if you send pics on here then people will be able to tell you if your black axie actually has a fungal infection.i have a dark wildtype axie and she has lighter colouring almost like spots so it could possibly be this.

also...were the two axies in the same tank when you got them? the missing parts of the gills could be from the other axie biting them...same with the leg etc.

your axie probably isnt eating because it is a new environment. my leucistic male was like this when we first got him. you can also try changing his food.

Good luck.

N

new

Thankyou!!

Yeah, they were both in the same tank at the pet shop...with another 2. Will the sick 1 b ok without a filter....just change the water daily?

N

new

Thankyou!!

Yeah, they were both in the same tank at the pet shop...with another 2. Will the sick 1 b ok without a filter....just change the water daily?

N

new

sorry...didn't mean to send that twice...not used to forums and how they work-still figuring it out. Hope they realise the trouble we go to!
Done, sick one separated...and put it in the fridge for a little while. how long should I leave it there? I feel sorry for it being in the fridge!

D

debbie

Lauren

In regards to your uncycled tank you can not just put your axie's in it and expect them to be okay, but there is a way around it.
Do a 1/3 water change every 2 days 4 times, then a 1/3 water change every 4 days 4 times. By the time you have done this the tank should be fine. Just buy an ammonia test kit and keep an eye on the levels, if it starts to rise a water change will bring it back down, but you must be on the ball. The ammonia wont kill the animal, the nitrite it changes into will.

I very rarely cycle a tank these days. If I can I use filter media from an existing tank, but whether I can or not, I just do regular water changes. The problem with an uncycled tank is that there is no bacteria to dispose of the ammonia and nitrite that builds up. The water changes keep the levels down low enough that it will not hurt the aquatic species you have in the tank but leaves enough to encourage bacterial growth

The key is knowing your water. What is it's PH, hardness etc when it comes out of the tap. Compare that to what the axolotl is in. Put the water in a secondary container and adjust it to the same as your primary tank before adding it.

N

new

thankyou...I will get onto a water change first thing in the morning and then I'll go & get a water testing kit-at the moment they've been in the tank for about 27 hrs.(excluding the sick one who got separated about 2 hrs ago!)

K

kim

Hi Lauren,

Incase you havnt read it yet follow the following link.. it will send you to caudata.org's sister site. www.axolotl.org

Take a read through that, theres loads of help information.. and take a look at a few other posts in and around sick axie.. there have been a influx of people asking about cycling there tanks.

The axie in the fridge will be fine.. make sure you change the water either everyday or everyother day.

With the white spots on the axie.. are they fluffy or are they flat and look like part of the skin? If you take a look in the gallery there are many pictures of wildtype axies with the normal spots/colouration.

Keep us up to date. If you can get a picture it would be great, manybe we could help u out some more.

One last thing where abouts in the world are you?

Good luck

Kim

N

new

Hey! Perth, Australia.

Thanx 4 mor advice :)
The white spots on the skin aren't raised...they look part of the skin. I will get pics as soon as I can.

C

claire

i keep my two axies in a tank with no filter but just do regular water changes and they seem fine and healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!