The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 26th February 2011   #1
Austin
(DeCypher)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DeCypher has shown reliable knowledge
Default Gill-flicking

This happens quite often with my Axolotls. They constantly make flicking motions with their gills. They flick them back really fast, and this happens at least twice/three times an hour. Why do they do this?

DeCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011   #2
Shannon
(dragonlady)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 1
Rep: dragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Gill-flicking

Are they doing anything else? From your description, it doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, honestly. If they are not scratching at their gills, shaking their heads, or swimming off erradically, I don't really thing I'd worry about it. I'd suggest that this is just part of their normal breathing.

dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011   #3
mewsie
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: mewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlady View Post
Are they doing anything else? From your description, it doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, honestly. If they are not scratching at their gills, shaking their heads, or swimming off erradically, I don't really thing I'd worry about it. I'd suggest that this is just part of their normal breathing.
+1
Our big two do it a lot, i think when they are quite still it flushes fresh water over their gills. Never seen our little one do it cause I've never seen him stay still for very long (even when I had him in a tub, he did laps of it, haha)

mewsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011   #4
LoveMyLotl♥
(maykate)

Nationality:
Rep: maykate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gill-flicking HELP

NEED HELP .. I got an axolotl bought for me and the person that got it for me didnt pass along the care instructions proper.

I cleaned his tank, took 3/4 of the water out.. filled it up with water from the tap, did the PH levels so they were 7.0 but put him in without knowing i had to put conditioner in it..

So i called my friend in a panic when he started acting weird she told me to put the liquid in she gave me and to use a certain amount so i put it in but i accidently put in filter start.. and i think too much filter start than the 60litre needed.. i quickly hunted the conditioner down and put some in.

Hes calmed down but is flicking his gills every 30seconds-few minutes and swims up to the surface really fast every now and then.

I FEEL LIKE SUCHA BAD MUMMY im used to dogs and lizards as pets ..
Can anyone tell me what to do or if hes going to be ok? PLEASE JUST ANYTHING

maykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011   #5
Boo Penguin
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Boo Penguin has started on the right path

@ maykate

Don't stress, my lovley little guy gill flicks quite often. Its just a habit of his.Also the swimming up to the surface is air gulping which is also natural. Remember that axi's have both gills and lungs! As said above I wouldn't worry unless he starts to swim around all crazy like... and even then thats is not always a serious thing. Also it is better to condition the water BEFORE you put it in the tank.