Illness/Sickness: My axo just threw up

Icarez

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Patrick
I was watching my axolotl and I fed it about an hour ago, now it just threw it back up O.O
Is this overfeeding? or am I doing something else wrong?

the only time mine have thrown up is when they ate a stone(we have sand in our tank so we dont know where the stone came from)

are they eating ok??

How much did you feed him.
Yeah mine have thrown up from eating too many worms n one go.....
Mel

@mogs9999 yes they are eating fine, they are actually hungry all the time, if I so much as stick my finger in there to move something I get snapped at

They have eaten about 4 worms today, I mostly wait 2 days before feeding them again
They have eaten them rather fast though, I was told "as much as they can eat" in 15 minutes, but thats WAY to much, they munch em down very fast

I might spread it out over a longer time?

Try cutting their feedings down. 4 worms seems like a lot to me. How big are the worms/axolotls?

@Kaysie

Yeah I will :eek: I was thinking thesame thing but when everybody sayd "as much as they eat" in 15 minutes they will get up to 4
The axo's are +-16cm
The worms are all different in size but lets say when they fully stretch between 10-12cm

I already had another try and I gave them 2 this time
They do still seem hungry after that though... but there not getting any more again
I'll just feed them a little more often and not more then 2 worms at a time :) should be fine

I was actually just afraid I fed them wrong or something, but it seems now that their eyes are to big for their stomach actually :p

Thanks for the comments :)

I had similar feeding worries, in my (admittedly limited) experience an axolotl will eat everything you put in front of it for as long as you're prepared to stand there feeding it! Mine are never full and had to go on a diet! They still try and guilt me into feeding them more though, it's those big cute eyes :p

Aren't the differences funny? Just like people! All four of mine have a very definite 'no go zone' as soon as they've had enough. Two of them simply behave as though the worm isn't dangling right in front of their noses, and the other two will grab it, then spit it right out again... No danger of obesity here :D

I'm finding the difference between winter and spring/summer feeding really noticeable, but for mine it's not about quantity (which never exceeds 3-4 earth worms each per feed), it's about frequency - once a week (Winter) is now once every 4 days, and I think I'll be moving to 3 days soon :happy:

Mine will eat all day if i let them.....

Just space the food out a bit more.
Mel

Axolotls are opportunistic feeders. They're always on the lookout for food, even if they physically cannot fit any more in. They'll literally eat until they barf, and then sometimes eat that too.

Axolotls are opportunistic feeders. They're always on the lookout for food, even if they physically cannot fit any more in. They'll literally eat until they barf, and then sometimes eat that too.
Yuuummmeehhh XD

lol sounds like me. minus the eating my own barf bit!

note i am not bulimic, i just eat all the time!

my axolotls have all thrown up the first few days i had them after they came from the pet store. They are like a small chiled.
too much excitement *barf
too much food *barf

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back