Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to put down an axolotl humanely

AshSeek

Reaction score
okay i will try that...
i tried looking down his mouth but it seems like it is closed? is this normal i don't know what they should look like regularly but there was nothing that appeared to be logged... should i try to shove something down there if it is hurting him?

auntiejude

Reaction score
No don't shove something down! Look up the sticky on force feeding - you'll need a wet towel, a rubber spatula, a small syringe, some minced worms and an extra pair of hands.

You may be able to get a waxworm into his mouth if it is open like that - if you can get it in he may be able to swallow.

AshSeek

Reaction score
Okay i will try that..., i have put a towel around his tub in the fridge. i also cut down the water a level a bit but doesn't seem to help too much.

My wild type tends to have a slight gap in his mouth but nothing in comparison to my white.

I do not have any wax worms atm and its really hard to get food here quickly because we don't have anything close... i do have some blood worms or regular worms, i could cut up but would it be good to shove it down his throat if it is sore?
I don't know if you saw my other post on here, but i tried looking down his throat, but it looked like the rest of his skin, not like a black hole or anything, i dont think it is clogged up with anything but i think its just closed up? would it still be good to try to shove something down there?

Please note that i have never looked down their throats before this so i don't know exactly what to look for.

AshSeek

Reaction score
wonderful, i took a look at it but my little guy is only about 6.5 inches long, tho in my opinion big, but not an adult size... would you still recommend trying this?

AshSeek

Reaction score
Update: he has been in the fridge for a few days, when i check on him he is now able to stay upright for the most part, isn't really swimming around like before but once he did flip on his back when trying to move. the very tip of his right middle gill is turning white (can vaguely see) and i don't believe its a fungus i think its just the gill itself.

I also had lowered the water to just a bit above his back to help keep him upright but hes even bracing against the wall and sticking his nose out of the container to look at me :'( i have not tried force feeding him yet as i am not sure if anyone would recommend it as he is still very young...

I don't know what else to do?!

auntiejude

Reaction score
at 5-6" you should be able to force feed if needed, you just don't want to do it with little ones.
But if he seems to be recovering on his own you might just try him with some live bloodowrms.

MochiGuu

Reaction score
Sounds like he's already doing much better? I have no idea what's wrong with him, just 2 pieces of kind of good news: his guills aren't that horribly short. I've seen a lot shorter on this very forum with nobody worrying while I was. He also isn't the thinnest I've ever seen. He is underweight, but not dangerously so judging by the pictures. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I thought you should know it doesn't look all that bad :)

AshSeek

Reaction score
Thank you everyone i will try to force feed... could i just much up some of my blood worms or regular worms? If it doesn't work i am slightly tempted to euthanize him:( I really feel so sad he's just in the fridge and he's still upside down now. :(

i know his gills don't look too horrible but we will have to see.

Today i will try and force feed him..

However, i also read that especially with young axolotls, the longer they don't eat and such the more damage that is done and more likely to be permanent,

Im afraid his jaw may stay like that his whole life, which i wouldn't mind except that if it meant i would have to force feed him every day as he is not able to eat on his own now. for swim at all really. Hopefully force feeding will work and he will gain weight and be able to swim well but if he cannot feed on his own, I'm afraid with me going into college, i might not have the time he really deserves... ?:(

Thank you all again.

auntiejude

Reaction score
If he does make it - and he likely will as axies have a habit of bouncing back - you may be able to persuade him to feed from a pipette or syringe, so you can squirt food gently into the back of his mouth. I have 3 of my axies 'trained' to come to the front of the tank for dinner - although I think they are just conditioned to come to me.

I would be really reluctant to euthanise - is there anyone who would take him on? You couild advertise on here or locally for a foster home of let someone have him if you're going to college.

AshSeek

Reaction score
yes i actually got them for a college pet, (i have two others and was wanting another as i just love them to pieces) but i would not want to have to force feed him everyday :( he still would not eat really when i force fed him, like i don't know if he wouldn't swallow or something but it all comes out. .... there are not many people where i live who have axolotls, nor would know how to care for him ;/ we will see how he pulls through.

AshSeek

Reaction score
To everyone-
He passed away overnight. Thank you ALL SO very much for all the help, it was very comforting.
God Bless <3

usafaux2004

Reaction score
To everyone-
He passed away overnight. Thank you ALL SO very much for all the help, it was very comforting.
God Bless <3

I'm sorry for your loss. We just got two axies on Sunday, and I've been watching them like children (of which I have none!), to make sure they are happy in their new home. Loosing any animal is extremely hard.

AshSeek

Reaction score
Thank you so much :) so happy you have some fun axies, they are the coolest.

Mama Mia

Reaction score
:( Sorry to hear of your loss, will say a prayer for you and for your lil guy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1