Finding earthworms in the winter

Megez

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey everyone,

This is my first winter with Hiccup at his adult size, I just found out from my local bait shop that they do not carry Earthworms over the winter as it's too hard to keep them alive.

I live in an apartment, so the thought of farming worms doesn't seem too logical for me.

My local pet stores don't supply earthworms, so I'm a little stumped as to where I can get some wiggly nums for my little buddy.

I've tried the pellets with him, but he doesn't seem to bother with them. If it was his choice they'd rot at the bottom of the tank I think.

Any ideas? - Do you know of anyone who ships earthworms? - is there a way to make an earthworm farm that isn't hard to manage in an apartment setting?

edit: I want to note that other than the pellets, he's not picky, he loves bloodworms (but not cost effective), has eaten a pinky mouse (one of the hubby's frogs wouldn't eat it, so it was thrown in there), and even ate some of the Repashy Grub Pie a while ago.

The Grub Pie may be my next idea, if i can figure out how to make it properly so that it doesn't break up when I touch it.

Last edited:
In the winter, I find them online. I order them from UNCLEJERRYSWORMS.COM.

I live in an apartment and have kept a small worm farm. I bought a small-medium tupperware-like container, added some dirt and wet newspaper shreddings to put them in. I ordered european nightcrawlers from Uncle Jim's Worm Farm and misted them with a spray bottle every so often and threw in some food scraps. It's not very hard to manage as long as you can keep them moist. The european night crawlers don't need to be kept in the refrigerator like canadian night crawlers.

The european night crawlers don't need to be kept in the refrigerator like canadian night crawlers.

Interesting! I didn't know about that! So European worms would be find outside during the summer? or still best to keep them cooler?

Interesting! I didn't know about that! So European worms would be find outside during the summer? or still best to keep them cooler?

Hmmm... I'm not 100% sure about keeping them outside because I don't know how hot of temperatures they can tolerate.. I know they are fine in a bin at room temperature but I still try to keep them as cool as possible. They just don't need to be refrigerated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back