Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help...worm in gills,

aloltlove

Reaction score
So I feed my axolotls a combination of meat pie. which is a make it yourself meat jell formula and also live black worms. When I last fed them black worms I did so through a turkey baster ( a method to try and keep the worms from going right down through the sand substrate immediately) When I did so one of the worms floated down and as I watched landed on my axolotls head and started squirming its way to and into her gills. I tried to suck it out with the turkey baster and my axie just freaked out and kept swimming around. With no way to get her to calm down and get hands on her I kept trying this method until I could no longer see the worm. It has been 24 hours now and she is still swimming around fine with no change in behavior. Would this worm have entered the gills and found its way to the throat to be eaten or are there worse results I should be worried about? She didn't seem to be freaking out about the worm, just me when I tried to free it from her gills.

TatoTesla

Reaction score
A bloodworm in the gills isn't something major to worry about. Bloodworms that get stuck in the gills usually just get a little tangled and tend to dislodge themselves. If you check back later and still see it, try to use the turkey baster again but instead of trying to suck the worm out, I would try to just blow it out instead. It's no major concern, but just be aware that if you can't get it out right away, any other tank mates might see it and try to eat it out of the other's gills which can cause some gill damage. Just keep an eye on her. It's probably already dislodged itself. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1