Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where to keep baby Axolotl

Nmshuhart

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon long tank that will be cycled and ready to go soon, but I'm worried that's too big for a juvenille...

Renette

Reaction score
Do you need to keep it filled to the top and how gentle is your filter? I have a number of juveniles that are about 2.5 inches long and they are in a very large tank but only about 7 inches deep. Some love to rest on the plastic plants and decorations but have no problems moving up and down. Also I make sure they get their food delivered right to them. My biggest concern is that they won't be able to fight any pull of a filter so I have the filter surrounded by a piece of filter sponge.

Renette

Reaction score
I just read on another thread that the water should only be a little higher than their length.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
How many Axolotl will you be getting?

I always use quality plastic tubs of a reasonable size. You shouldn't have 3" Axolotl in such a big tank with deep water.

It will make feeding really hard if your starting with Daphnia and blood worm. Plus the filter situation.

Type of tubs I use: http://sainathengineering.co.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/plastic_container1.jpg

I do 100% water changes every other day with dechlorinated water.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I just read on another thread that the water should only be a little higher than their length.
Axolotls evolved in lakes up to 5ft deep, they are fine in deep tanks, the more water the better as its easier to maintain water quality. I have raised many axolotls in 2ft deep tanks with no probs.
I always use quality plastic tubs of a reasonable size. You shouldn't have 3" Axolotl in such a big tank with deep water.

It will make feeding really hard if your starting with Daphnia and blood worm. Plus the filter situation.

Type of tubs I use: http://sainathengineering.co.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/plastic_container1.jpg

I do 100% water changes every other day with dechlorinated water.
Your correct in thinking that reduced water volume helps concentrate small live food for small larvae but at 3" an axolotl should be moved onto larger foods such as chopped worm and bloodworm which dont need this practice. There is no reason not to put it in a larger tank. Finding food can be made easier by feeding in the same part of the tank, the axolotl will quickly learn where to go for food. The larger water volume will reduce the maintenance requirements and disturb the axolotl less.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Oh right! I had read that the Axolotl needs to be able to swim to the surface for air and that they could struggle if the water was too deep which could be an issue when they are smaller. I'll have to try using larger tanks since that would definitely make it a lot easier to maintain water quality.

And yes worms are perfect too, I use small sized pellets at that size and feed by tweezers at the surface to try reduce mess. I should have mentioned worms instead of Daphnia, since Daphnia are far too small for a good nutritious meal at this stage!

Thank you for the info about the water depth!

xxianxx

Reaction score
Oh right! I had read that the Axolotl needs to be able to swim to the surface for air and that they could struggle if the water was too deep which could be an issue when they are smaller.
They have gills and can swim, they can reach the surface if they want. I generally raise them in well aerated tubs when small but have used deep tanks outside with equal sucess, i really dont think these guys have probs with water depth, if the water has alow oxygen content they can hang subsurface to gulp air if they wish.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Your more than likely right, I just worried that being smaller, their ability to swim further to the surface in particularly deep water would be hindered. But you've raised so many with no issue and you get added benefits of water quality lasting longer! I'll change the way I house them ;)

Nmshuhart

Reaction score
I will be feeding bloodworms, cut earthworms, and salmon pellets. So, a 20 gallon tank is fine? It's only 12" high. It's a long 20 gallon, not a regular. I have a HOB filter so I *think* it has to be filled almost to the top so the filter is submerged, right? This is my first aquarium and this forums have been very helpful!

Skudo09

Reaction score
The tank should be fine. Mine were three inches and were in the same tank they are in now (around 200 litres). There is no issues with them not being able to get to the surface and they have always been hand fed so feeding was not an issue (and it is fun to feed by hand!) :). Just make sure the filter current is not too strong. You can baffle the flow by placing something in front of the filter outlet such as an ornament. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1