Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Regeneration of Gills

jeneral

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I wanted to ask if an axolotl with short stumpy gills has one bitten off, could it grow back nice and long if in the right conditions?

I ask because, I was looking through the pics earlier and I saw a comment about how a particular axolotl had nice long gills because it was kept in warmer water and fed well while it was growing. This made me think that if an axolotl with short, under developed gills like you might get from a dodgy pet shop had its gill's eaten by another, would they grow back long if in warmer water and well fed or would they just be stumpy again?

Please dont think that because I am asking the question I am considering cutting off the gills of my axolotls. I would/could never do that but I am just curious to know how the regeneration works. Do they grow back like the original or if given better conditions, grow back better?

Mr Poseidon

Reaction score
Dayton, Oh (summer) Charleston SC (fall winter spr
Although i am not an expert by any means, axolotls gill length is (as i understand it) mostly genetic and while conditions will help or hurt the regrowth of the gills, i do not believe that they should or would be much different then they were originally.

i have two axis atm, and one nipped the end off the others gill (moving really caused them a lot of stress this time :/ ) but it has begun to re grow i will let you know if it ends up significantly different then before

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
I too believe that genetics play the biggest roll in what your lotls gills will look like. To answer one of your questions about regrowth though, yes your lotls gill stalk will grow back after it being nipped off but it should resemble what the other healthy stalks look like before the nip.

As for the warm versus cold water, cold water holds more oxygen so it would stand to reason that if kept in sub 50 degree F water there gills may not need to develop as they would if kept in 70 degree F water.

It would be cool to find some twin or tripplet eggs and separate them out to try a small experiment.

This research has probably been done if you searched around for it, such as the affect of water temp on gill development in salamanders.

jeneral

Reaction score
I thought it was probably genetic but I wasn't sure if it was also conditions. I have some week old babies at the moment so I could split them up and see if there is a difference but there aren't any twins and I dont really have the space for them. I am keeping them in 22 degree celcius water and feeding them a few times a day so hopefully they all have long gills. Their parents dont have nice gills so I guess I will see if they follow after their parents or if the water conditions play a part.

Ezreal

Reaction score
Sorry for barging in on the conversation, but I am also struggling with the exact same problems with my two juvenile (gfp) leucistics. I accidentally left them overnight with two zebra danios and on the following morning, all that's left of their fluffy gills is six stumps! (about 5mm each) I miss their previous gills so much and really hope that genetics can play a role in the healing process. Do you guys think that adding more oxygen to the water using air stones for example will speed up the healing process? I was just wondering if that could be a factor because the axolotls are constantly gulping for air at the surface. D:

Water conditions are fine, so is the temperature and food supply. I guess they were in a state of shock right after their gills were nipped off, but their appetites seems to be much better now. :) Also, any rough ideas on how long it will take for gills to grow back again?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1