Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do you train the young axolotls to eat pellets?

Errffy02

Reaction score
Dear all,
I've been feeding my young axies (~2months) initially with baby brine shrimps and now I've switched them to live black worms. As it's getting quite expensive feeding them with live black worms since theres like 20 of them, I tried feeding them with pellets that I've broken into tiny pieces. Initially they take it in, but several seconds later, they spit it out. I've tired this several times, and they simply refuse to ingest pellets. Should I just starve them for a couple more days and perhaps they might eat it? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks heaps !!

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Moving them onto pellets can take some time, not giving them food for a day or so can help them be more interested in the pellets, I had the same issue with mine. It could be that the size your breaking the pellets into are just too big, which means they cant swallow easily, really depends on the size.

Errffy02

Reaction score
I've tried starving them and breaking the pellets into a quarter to feed them.
They initially take it in, chew on it for a moment and two and spit it out.
I'm just afraid they might start feasting on one another if they become too hungry.
I guess i might have to stick to worms for now.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
How big are the pellets your using? and can you post some pictures of your Axolotls?

My Axolotls kept spitting them out at first, they came round eventually. But I can see your worry about them potentially nipping at each other when they become more hungry. I just kept feeding blackworm and daphnia but in smaller quantities and then kept trying to feed pellets everyday, they got the hang of it eventually

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Just to give a bit more info on my experiences with starting on pellets:

I used these small sized pellets for my juveniles:
https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=products&func=detail&id=4996

They are formulated for the nutritional needs of Axolotl.

I would cut these into smaller chunks and feed with tweezers like these:
http://newimg.globalmarket.com/PicLib/359/1907359/prod/group1/M00/52/77/rBAAaVVwFRqAW7W2AACNgArkykc045_l.jpg

I just kept dropping them infront of the Axolotl, enticing them by moving the tweezers slowly in front of their heads.

As I said, it took awhile but once they get used to it they will eventually take a whole pellet. Then once my Axolotls are around 18cm I'll start feeding the Novolotl XL pellets which are bigger in size.

I now do a mix of worms and pellets!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1