Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Post-fungus, not improving?

SwampThing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my axolotl for about 6 months, after purchasing him as a juvenile. He's recently had a bout of fungus following (I think) the heating coming on for the winter. Following a salt bath regimen the external fungus has gone but his recovery seems to have plateaued somewhat. He's still dealing with the following:

Pinker colouration
Shrunken gills
Frequent gill flicking
Frequently surfaces for air
Floats more than usual
Much more obvious veins on tail
Refusing food (this is the biggest concern to me)
Some white patching around his back fin

He's in a tub at the moment and getting 100% water changes daily. I'm just not sure whether there's anything else I can be doing at the moment? I'm not sure if fridging is a step too far at this stage Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone. I've attached a few pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_20191020_222833144.jpg
    IMG_20191020_222833144.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20191020_222820432.jpg
    IMG_20191020_222820432.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20191020_222826877.jpg
    IMG_20191020_222826877.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 124

xxianxx

Reaction score
From the description it looks like your water quality and/or temp is not correct. The fungus may have been a result of this and was not the original problem but a symptom. Check your water peramiters are ok , if they are you may have a hyper sensative axolotl, i have one who falls apart in anything but optimal conditions whilst his tank mates are fine.

SwampThing

Reaction score
Thanks Nai Live,

I guess my question is now that he's in clean dechlorinated water all the time, is his refusal of food related to the recovery process? He hasn't eaten in about a week and a half and I'm not sure whether I should be worrying yet. He's done a couple of poos since then but these appear to have stopped so he should be cleaned out by now :confused:

xxianxx

Reaction score
Just keep trying to feed him, if hes out of sorts and been messed about with by beign moved he may go off his food for a bit. A couple of weeks without foods not a major problem but should be monitored.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!