The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 2nd December 2014   #1
ninjamonkey001

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ninjamonkey001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fungus not improving.

Hello, I'm Dan, I've only just joined this site although I've used it for help before, I've got 3 axolotls but one is troubling me recently.

A few weeks back my female albino stopped eating and a few days later cotton wool like fungus showed up on her gills, I gave her salt baths twice a day and after about 5 days I decided to fridge her because the fungus wasn't going, she's now been in the fridge for about 10 days with 2 salt baths a day and the fungus hasn't reduced and has now formed on another gill. She has also turned slightly red and veiny in the last couple of days.

I've used salt baths and fridging before and it's been very successful, but this time it doesn't seem to be helping, does anyone have any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0161.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	40452   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0162.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	40453   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0163.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	40454  

ninjamonkey001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014   #2
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Fungus not improving.

The fridge won't be doing her any good, but she still needs to be kept cool and clean. She needs to warm up a bit and get some food in her.

If almond leaves or salt baths are not working you could try Melafix or Pimafix. Failing that a trip to the vet for something stronger might be in order.

Old 3rd December 2014   #3
ninjamonkey001

Nationality:
Rep: ninjamonkey001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fungus not improving.

Ok, I took her out of the fridge to try and feed her, which didn't work and the cotton wool grew and spread rapidly overnight.

I took her to the vet today and it turns out she has a parasite and not fungus which explains why my attempts at treating her didn't work.

The vet gave me some Baytril to be given orally and some F10 antiseptic for a bath once a day, I'll get back on here in a few days time to let you know if it has worked.

ninjamonkey001 is offline   Reply With Quote