The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Laws/Legality and Ethics Discussion of the laws affecting herpetology around the world. Species legalities in different jurisdictions, import/export of animals, the legalities of species collection and the ethical considerations of all of the above.

Old 19th August 2018   #1
evanalexjames

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: evanalexjames is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is it legal to ship Axolotls from USA to BC Canada?

I've checked all over the internet and even reached out to CBSA (with no response), but I cannot find a definitive answer.

I am currently in the process of breeding my Axolotls and a really good friend of mine who lives in BC Canada wants a few to keep as pets in her classroom (she teaches year 7 science) to teach about regenerative limbs. I was wondering if I could legally ship the Axolotls to her and if so, what regulations I would need to follow in order to do so.

I am not a business. I am not selling them. I am just trying to help out a friend.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

evanalexjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2018   #2
clock
(aalysaz)

Nationality:
Rep: aalysaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it legal to ship Axolotls from USA to BC Canada?

I know that there was a ban for a year (https://www.macleans.ca/society/no-m...-you-heard-us/) but it should be over now

aalysaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2018   #3
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

'd need to apply for permits under CITES - which would probably make it far too complicated to be worthwhile.

Old 10th September 2018   #4
dendromad

Nationality:
Rep: dendromad is an unknown quantity at this point

No it is not legal. Ambystomid salamanders are classed as wildlife under the BC Wildlife Act and thus illegal to posses in BC.

dendromad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018   #5
dendromad

Nationality:
Rep: dendromad is an unknown quantity at this point

Axolotls are illegal to posses in BC. All ambystomid salamanders are classed as wildlife under the BC Wildlife Act and thus are illegal to posses without a permit (which is usually for zoological institutions or similar).
The recipient would need a possession permit and and import permit from the B.C Government which would not be likely given for an individual.

dendromad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, axolotl, canada, illegal, import, legal, ship, usa