The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Old 23rd May 2014   #1
Jake
(jAfFa CaKe)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 4
Rep: jAfFa CaKe has given good advice and informationjAfFa CaKe has given good advice and information
Default Ichthyosaura alpestris apuanus

Hi all,
I often find Ichthyosaura alpestris apuanus in my garden. A couple of days ago I found a female laying eggs in my pond. Once she was done I did what. I should do, and took her in. She is now in a 2ft cycled aquarium which will have some plants soon. I am also asking a question, for all you British folk, do I have to remove the eggs? Anyway, here are some pics, I think she still has some eggs left in her so I have put some plastic strips for her to lay on if she wants to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	37596  

jAfFa CaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014   #2
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Ichthyosaura alpestris apuanus

You can raise the eggs in the adult tank if you wish. Most people remove them though. The offspring made me hybrids so be carefull about passing them on to other people, also post some better pics of the female, she may be another subspecies of alpine

Old 23rd May 2014   #3
Aplestris

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Aplestris has started on the right path

First off awesome! I'd love to have them in my garden!
Are you sure they are Apuanus? I cant honestly identify them but I've only heard of I.Alpestris Alpestris in the UK but its likely Apuanus are introduced too.
I would personally collect the eggs and raise them if I had the space and time if i were you but it's not required by law to remove them. I dont know if you know but it is illegal to release them back into the garden.

Aplestris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014   #4
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

If they are apuanus i'd gladly take some off your hands! :)

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014   #5
Jake
(jAfFa CaKe)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Rep: jAfFa CaKe has given good advice and informationjAfFa CaKe has given good advice and information

Well, I watched her lay them and I'm pretty sure she is apuanus! Chinadog, pm me to get in touch if you want them! I got some more underbelly pics as well. You can't really see from the pics but she has a spotted throat which is significant to apuanus, isn't it? Or maybe inexpectatus has it as well. Oh, and chinadog, see if George (georgeangler) has any eggs left, I would rather you got some CB ones then my WC ones, then again, the are an invasive species.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	37599  

Old 23rd May 2014   #6
Aplestris

Nationality:

I don't know if my post I (tried to) make before is pending or whatever but it is so awesome you have them in your garden! Are you sure it is the Italian subspecies? I have never heard of Icthyosaura Alpestris Apuanus in the UK as an introduced species although I'm sure colonies do exist.
I don't know if you are aware though (probably are) but it is illegal to release them back into the garden as they are a non-native species.

Old 23rd May 2014   #7
Jake
(jAfFa CaKe)
European Newt Group

Nationality:

Yes, I was aware that I would be breaking the law putting her/the eggs back in my pond, she has a spotted throat a is quite small which makes me think she is an apuanus, she might be a released individual and her eggs might be hybridised with alpestris's but, when I think about it, I remember most alpine newts I found in and around my garden being around her size and havering a spotted throat, maybe it's a small community of apuanus(es?) living in back garden

Old 23rd May 2014   #8
Aplestris

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplestris View Post
I don't know if my post I (tried to) make before is pending or whatever but it is so awesome you have them in your garden! Are you sure it is the Italian subspecies? I have never heard of Icthyosaura Alpestris Apuanus in the UK as an introduced species although I'm sure colonies do exist.
I don't know if you are aware though (probably are) but it is illegal to release them back into the garden as they are a non-native species.
Sorry ignore that repost.
Apparently, Apuanus have a more spotted throat as yours seems to have, some have red spots on their stomachs and they are generally aquatic during all or most of the year.

Old 24th May 2014   #9
Aplestris

Nationality:

Just checked my female I.Alpestris Alpestris and she does not have a spotted throat if that helps. I am thinking your's are Apuanus now. Do any of the native species breed in your pond too?

Old 26th May 2014   #10
Jake
(jAfFa CaKe)
European Newt Group

Nationality:

Not really, it's not preferable for them. Alpines love it though.