Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl acting strange after water change

Mackiot

Reaction score
Im kind of worried. I admit, I was a bit far behind on waterchanges. It's been a busy summer so for the most part she has had mostly just spot cleaning and small waterchanges as I have had time. Today I did about a 40% waterchange, and removed everything from the tank and rinsed it off using the old water to make sure there was nothing stuck on them(poop/old food, anything like that), these consists of two hides and three fake plants, though I only placed two plants back in the tank. I cleaned all the sand. I did not touch the filter. She lives in a 20 gallon long tank on her own.

But once I was done I noticed she was kind of going nuts? She has been swimming back and fourth sporadically and moving non stop. Normally I do see her walking across the bottom of the tank a few times a day and she comes for feeding time, but she has been swimming all over the place nonstop since I changed her water. I do chlorinate my water and let it sit out for a few days before I add it to the tank.

Was it just the excitement of the change or did I do something that is causing this behavior? She doesn't ha e a curled tail or gills that I can tell, she is just way more active than she normally is.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Was there a temperature difference between the tank water and the new water? Test the water for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. Keep an eye on her body condition over the next few days, watch for gill reduction.

Mackiot

Reaction score
Both waters were the same temperature before I added the fresh stuff. She started calming down after a little bit and is acting normally now. No ammonia, but I'm out of test strips for everything eles so im not sure on anything eles.
I'm still going to keep an eye out on her though, I think I may have been a little paranoid, shes acting normally now.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I would normally ask if you forgot dechlorinator but you said you used it. Maybe she was just enjoying the fresh water. Shouldn't be anything to worry about :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!