Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Why are my axolotl's gill tips white?

ghostlyskiess

Reaction score
Hello!
so, i have a male axolotl, and i have had him for a little over 8 months. he's in a large tank with a few other axolotls, and he gets fed angleworms twice a day. today though, he is reluctant to eat and the tips of his gills are turning a white/gray color. i'm really worried about this- i haven't had to deal with any sicknesses with them yet, so i don't know what i'm doing. he hasn't been floating or anything, and he isn't showing any other signs of fungus. what could this be, and how can i fix this? any help would be appreciated!

(also, unrelated thing- he's had this little dark bump on his side ever since i got him? he doesn't seemed bothered by it, but i just want to know if i should be worried. sorry for asking so many questions!)

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Post some pics if you can so we can see. Is the white on top of the skin or does it look like it's the actual skin itself?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!