Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can rainwater be used

ConcernedOwner

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm about to move house to a country farm in Australia where the only supply of water is (tank) rainwater. The system isn't new, but fine to drink from. I've checked the pH and it is in the acidic range, approx 6pH but was easily able to raise the pH with a PH Up liquid. My question is, can axolotls survive on rainwater if the pH is altered to be alkaline? Does anyone know about the lack of minerals in the water and have any strategies to compensate for this?

Thanks everyone, would appreciate any suggestions.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Please don't use pH up - it's not good for axies. If you're adding a remineraliser or salts of some kind it should help correct the pH anyway. Axies are fine at 6.8-8.

ConcernedOwner

Reaction score
Is there a particular remineraliser you would recommend or are aquarium salts enough? Do you also know how much I should use per 10L?

ConcernedOwner

Reaction score
I'm heading out today so I will get a sample and test for pH, ammonia and nitrites. It's a rainwater tank (not a well) so I'm unsure what else could be there. I assume you mean pH when you say hardness? I'll check this afternoon and then post

ConcernedOwner

Reaction score
Ok so the pH read as 6.0, however, that's as low as the test will go so I'm not sure if its actually lower than that

Montecarlo

Reaction score
I'm in Australia too amd using rain water. pH is fine but I would be interested in how to test harness. I would be interested in how to test water hardness as I imagine rainwater is very soft.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Asher904

Reaction score
I know this post is old but, does anyone else use rain water? And ph Up is a form of baking soda and that isnt safe safe for lotls?

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
I dont use rainwater but my local drinking water is low pH and acidic, i did a lot of research and figured out that Axolotls need some electrolytes in their environment. they may survive without them but they thrive with them, people with hard water are lucky in that regard. when i first got my babies home i just had seachem prime and a pH/Ammonia/ Nitr+/-te test kit, my water was in the safe perimeters but on the bottom end for pH, when i got my GH/KH test i found out i was at a 1 for both :eek: Axolotls like a minimum 7 GH! since then ive raised it to 7 and all my babies are looking WAY better, nice fluffy gills and good color :D

please get a GH and KH test kit, GH can be raised with axolotl safe aquarium fertilizers. im using seachem equilibrium but i bet if you research you can find others that would work.
im raising KH with a pinch of baking soda currently (be careful doing this, i have to watch pH like a hawk if my measurements are off) but i plan on buying and making my own modified Holtfreter's Solution eventually for more consistent conditions

found this recipe but obviously you should test batches with your own water and tweak it until its closer to ideal axolotl GH and KH, remember to check pH before using with your pets.
Adding electrolytes to the water also works as a buffer for pH, giving you more stable conditions in the long run

**i didnt write this, google gave it to me when i looked up "Holtfreter's Solution" **

Holtfreter's Solution Metric System (This makes 1 liter at 100% concentrate.)

- Salt (NaCl) WITHOUT IODINE 3.46g

- Potassium Chloride (KCl) 0.05g

- Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) 0.1g

- Epsom Salt (MgSO4) 0.2g

- - - - - Or in American

Potassium Chloride (KCl) 1/4 teaspoon

Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) 3/4 teaspoon

Epsom Salt (MgSO4) 1/2 tablespoons

Salt (NaCl) WITHOUT IODINE 4 tablespoons

WARNING: THIS MAKES 11 GALLONS OF SOLUTION AT 100% CONCENTRATE

The ideal dilution is about 40%-50% so if your in the US and have 22 gallons of water IN the tank add the whole thing. So basically, half of your water should be this solution.
TOO MUCH OF THIS SOLUTION WILL FRY OFF YOUR AXOLOTLS GILLS DO NOT PUT THEM IN 100% CONCENTRATE!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!