Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best filter for 55 gallon aquarium

wremmrg

Reaction score
I am setting up a 55 gallon aquarium for three axolotls, and am wondering what the best filtration would be. Any suggestions?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I would suggest a canister filter. It's the easiest option and if you use a chiller it'll hook up to it easily. I don't have a particular brand to recommend but for my turtle I use a aquamanta. I also have a small sunsun on my juvenile tank but once I have it filled up I'll probably also hook up a HOB. I also suggest using a sponge filter as well as a canister or HOB.
I would just stay away from any undergravel or internal filters :)

wremmrg

Reaction score
I am currently using a canister filter for my 29 gallon, that I happy with. Will have to see if they make a larger one that will handle 55 gallons.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
You shouldn't have an issue finding one for a 55 gallon tank. My turtle tank is a similar size and the canister I'm using isn't the biggest model.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!