Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Field Guide (Amphibians and Reptiles of South Dakota)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
So today, I received my complimentary copy of the new field guide: Amphibians and Reptiles of South Dakota, complete with frog and toad call CD. I was rather excited. The photos are nice and large, full color. The information is well laid out. The distribution maps are easy to read. And as I flipped through, I saw pictures taken by none other than Mike Graziano (a tiger sal and a mudpuppy). Evidently he's getting some herping in on the Great Plains.

My only beef is with reclassification. North American Bufo have been hacked from the genus and morphed into Anaxyrus, North American Rana has been turned into Lithobates... will the madness never end? Really though, I understand the meaning behind these two reclassifications. But it's hard for me to keep up. I'm a lumper, not a splitter, so trying to keep up with the up-to-the-second classifications is a big pain in the butt.

dane_zu

Reaction score
cool, a few years a go my sister got me a book of frogs and toad of Wisconsin and it came with a call CD

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just received this book. I was wondering if they would send it to a New York address, considering how far it is from South Dakota. Nice pictures, also each entry has a S. Dakota distribution map. The two caudates of SD are Ambystoma tigrinum and Necturus maculosus. (Experts, didn't they change the name of the non-CA tiger sals to A. mavortium, so A. tigrinum occurs only in CA, or do I have it wrong?)
Nice bibliography, glossary, SD checklist, with a "key" in the back, and a CD of Frog and Toad calls I'll be listening to as soon as I finish my Ursula LeGuin story! If you live in or herp in SD, this book is a must.

I LOVE the cover!

Attachments

• SDHerps.jpg
    SDHerps.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 818

Nathan

Reaction score
I just received this book. I was wondering if they would send it to a New York address, considering how far it is from South Dakota. Nice pictures, also each entry has a S. Dakota distribution map. The two caudates of SD are Ambystoma tigrinum and Necturus maculosus. (Experts, didn't they change the name of the non-CA tiger sals to A. mavortium, so A. tigrinum occurs only in CA, or do I have it wrong?)
Nice bibliography, glossary, SD checklist, with a "key" in the back, and a CD of Frog and Toad calls I'll be listening to as soon as I finish my Ursula LeGuin story! If you live in or herp in SD, this book is a must.

I LOVE the cover!

Not quite- California tigers are A. californiense, eastern tigers are A. tigrinum, and the ones between are A. mavortium. I believe both A. tigrinum and A. mavortium are found in the Dakotas, but I'll have to check on that.

Sounds like a nice field guide. I don't expect to be in South Dakota anytime soon, but I might still get a copy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!