Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do these Axolotls look stressed?

Swincebomb

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm about to adopt two Axolotls that need re-homing.

I think the tank they are in is too small for them, so I have a larger one I will put them in when I get them.

I'm no expert and so far I've only seen pictures of them but I think they look stressed. One is looking quite thin and the other has a curved tail which I have read can indicate stress. They are apparently both still eating well.

Would be interested to get the thoughts of others.

Will definitely be adopting them regardless but want to get some insight into what I may need to prepare for.

Thanks

Attachments

• Axolotl1.jpg
    Axolotl1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 208
  • Axolotl2.jpg
    Axolotl2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Axolotl3.jpg
    Axolotl3.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 191

Hayleyy

Reaction score
A tank upgrade is definitely needed, and that gravel is cause for concern. When you get them watch closely for constipation and/or constant floating. If they have injested the substrate they will need to be fridged to help it pass. I don't know if it is just the photo but the body positions tell me they are stressed, and the belly of the leucy looks odd to me. Are you currently cycling through a new tank? Hopefully you don't come across too many issues but I'm glad they're going to someone who can help :)

Swincebomb

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply, I thought they looked stressed but wanted to get some backup!
And appreciate the other advice - I have special aquarium sand to go in their new tank and will keep a close eye for obstructions.

I'm currently interstate but will be collecting them once I get home next week and then I will start cycling the new tank ASAP. Any idea how long approximately it takes for a tank to be fully cycled?

I've got a testing kit but am unsure whether I should use ammonium chloride drops, or a product I have seen called API Quick Start which would allow them to get into the new tank sooner. I'll also be getting the tank they are currently in, so would it help to transfer the plant and the hide from that tank across to help the cycle along?

Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Cycling can take anywhere from a week to months. You can do this with the axolotls in the tank, you just need to do regular water changes and it will take longer to get through the cycle. You can also tub the axolotls while the tank cycles.
You wont need ammonium chloride as you'll have the axolotls. They leave enough waste to build up ammonia but you can add some pellets or fish food to give it a good start. The API is good to use as well, it adds some good bacteria. Also adding in any decorations from the tank will help it along.
The test kit will be really helpful for you, I would test the water every day or two to keep track and keep levels okay for the axies. Do you have a dechlorinator picked out? I use seachem prime, it detoxifies the ammonia so it isn't harmful to the axolotls. It will probably give you false readings on your ammonia test though so it may not be the best when starting a cycle.
There are plenty of guides to doing in-tank cycling with axolotls on here with more info, if you have trouble finding them let me know and I'll take a look :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!