Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Food Farm Thingy? (I don't know what they are called)

Tjebb

Reaction score
Is it possible to give my axolotl feeder fish and have them breed and he eats them as they produce? So like a farm thingy? What could I "farm" for him? What do you guys do? And can they be in the same tank or no?

My wording is kinda off, I am sorry.

Also, what do you guys recommend to feed an axolotl. Right now Dollar is on a diet of axolotl pellets, mealworms, and bloodworms. The mealworms are a rare treat, and I take the head off, don't worry.

Viking

Reaction score
You would need lots of space like 500+ gallons of water to raise fish to feed one axolotl. And fish food costs $30/lb. It is not the best diet. There might be a way to raise enough worms. The cheapest method is probably pellets. If you are spending 2 hours a week doing something you don't like it turns into work. I would love to hear other ideas from people.

I raise Daphnia which great. It is impossible for me to raise all I would want. I have a 3000 gallon tank outside. It is an old horse tank. When axolotls get big enough, they no longer notice them.

Tjebb

Reaction score
You would need lots of space like 500+ gallons of water to raise fish to feed one axolotl. And fish food costs $30/lb. It is not the best diet. There might be a way to raise enough worms. The cheapest method is probably pellets. If you are spending 2 hours a week doing something you don't like it turns into work. I would love to hear other ideas from people.

I raise Daphnia which great. It is impossible for me to raise all I would want. I have a 3000 gallon tank outside. It is an old horse tank. When axolotls get big enough, they no longer notice them.

Thanks! So I won't have the space, as I don't have a big enough tank. Is there any diet you recommend for axolotls? If it is possible to farm worms, that would be nice. I'll look into that, and see if I could do it.
Thank you for the help!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
You can set up a nightcrawler worm farm, it's the best diet for axolotls. I don't live in the same country as you but you can usually buy worm farm kits. It also gives you worm juice which is great if you have a garden/plants. Stay away from red wrigglers if you can, some people don't have issues but axolotls will often refuse them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!