Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Terrestrial JFBN Juvenile Question

FatherOfGojira

Reaction score
Hello, I heard that juvenile Cynops Pyrrohgaster are terrestrial for a year or two and was wondering how big of a land area they would require :confused: I currently do not own one but hear that most available captive bred ones are juvenile when bought. Thank you for any info you guys can provide :D

shmifty5

Reaction score
im not sure what the tank requirements are for a single individual but im positive a 10 gallon long would be more than plenty, maybe a 5 gallon shoe-box type plastic storage bin would work and it would be pretty cost effective (i can get a much larger one at wal-mart for 6$ canadian, so like 3$ US for you).

aside from "enough room for him to meander around and do stuff" im not sure i can be more help, a single JFBN juvenile can't be too big and even when full grown they aren't HUGE, so i guess a big plastic storage bin would work perfectly for his entire life, just change the land for water and it's a done deal.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience, it's most practical to keep them on a soil-type substrate, rather than trying to set them up aquatically with land. Coming from an aquarium background, it was difficult at first for me to think about putting dirt into a tank, but it's actually easier to maintain soil than water. It is possible to raise them in a shallow semi-aquatic setup, but you need to find ways to feed them on land, that's the hard part. What setup you choose may depend on what kind of foods you will use. See:
Care for juvenile Cynops pyrrhogaster (Japanese firebelly newt)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I think fully terrestrial is perhaps simpler for a beginner. Use a small container, either a small tank or a tupperware, so that the live foods can´t go far and remain close to the newt. As Jen says, you can use soil, although my personal choice are moist paper towels. They require a good deal more maintenance but foods can´t hide or scape (or get dirty). Make sure to have plenty of hiding options, good ventilation and lots of tiny live foods.

This species can be kept fully aquatic from an earlier stage than other species. When they reach about 7-8 cm long, they are, in general, ready.

I would also like to congratulate you for wanting to acquire CB animals of this species. They are a challenge, but the WC alternative is just dreadful.....

Last edited:

FatherOfGojira

Reaction score
Thank you all for the info you gave, I appreciate it :D I think i'm going to try to find an aquarium-ready one for sale. Thanks again! (So just to make sure, is a ten gallon aquarium large enough for 2 adults?)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, it is, but since females can get quite large when they are old, you might want to upgrade them to a 20gallon. They will apreciate it, and so will you.

evut

Reaction score
Hi, I raised 4 juveniles in a shallow semi-aquatic set up as a complete novice (with help from members of this website of course).
Maybe it's luck but the newts grew big and strong without any problems. Their diet was mainly chopped earthworms and defrosted bloodworms.
There's photos of the set up in my album
http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/evut-albums-cynops-pyrrhogaster.html
I think they are supposed to grow faster in a semi-aquatic set up. Mine worked well and could easily be transformed as they were getting more aquatic. It's just a plastic box, we cut a hole in the lid an attached some net fabric over it with duct tape. Now they live in a large tank.

evut

Reaction score
Thanks, Julia. my newts are extremely photogenic :)
I hope Andrew will post pictures us his newts once he gets them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1