Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

So many axolotls...

zakar1mt

Reaction score
My name is Mike, I'm 21, and I go to Central Michigan University. I used to only own 4 axolotls (3 golden albinos, 1 melanoid), but it has recently turned into 54. I'm a new member, begging for criticism.

Razoul, Twister, Peter Peter Nickel Eater, and Cheadle (the melanoid) reside in a 55 gallon tank. I try to keep about 50 ghost shrimp in the tank at all times for snacks. I hand feed them live blackworms, earthworms, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen bloodworm. I keep 2, 10 gallon filters on each side and do very frequent water changes.

Twister laid a couple hundred eggs late 2011. I kept 50, which all hatched around New Year. Half are black, half yellow. Right now they all have front legs, no hind nubs yet. Every day I feed them a mixture of newly hatched brine for the little babies, and frozen brine for the bigger dudes. I'm currently working on a grid system in order to avoid cannibalism.

Please post your comments, questions, and suggestions :bowl:

JessKB

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Mike! Lots of us Michiganders here, I go to Eastern Michigan University.

Boggs32

Reaction score
4 to 54, that's a big jump :) Good luck raising your babies! I'm sure you'll do awesome. Feel free to share what you end up doing... sharing what worked (and what didn't). For those of us, hoping to do the same soon :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Michiganders love the axolotls!

I'm from west MI, went to MSU. Do you take any classes with Dr. Gillingham?

zakar1mt

Reaction score
Thank you! I'm excited to finally be part of the caudata.org community. So much good information, so many nice people.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!