Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire belly toad tank

godzillakid15

Reaction score
Hello I am wondering if my tank setup is ok for my 2 fbt I don't have picture of it but I do have pictures of the type of tank I'm useing
k2-_a21c1a20-9167-4a2a-ac5c-a3fa08b1f1ae.v1.jpg-7ebe9e763428f093942b77eca240af349895083f-optim-450x450.jpg
it almost all water but has the land bridge in the picture along with floating plants the can climb and hide in and a half shell coconnut that the hide in I also need tips with feeding them should I put them in a diffrent tank with no decorations to feed or just leave them in thanks in advanceEDIT-i also have a decoration skull that potrudes out of the water

Last edited:

sde

Reaction score
Looks fine to me, except I would remove the gravel. It can cause impaction if accidentally swallowed and also can trap waste causing water parameters to fluctuate.
You should feed in the tank to minimize stress. If all is well with the tank they should be perfectly comfortable feeding in it. What are you feeding them?

Teeglor

Reaction score
I'd just like to point out that this is a good setup for a newt and even a small frog, but a TERRIBLE setup for an aquatic turtle... They should not be advertising for turtles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

godzillakid15

Reaction score
my thoughts exactly I couldn't believe they advertised it for turtles not even a baby turtle would be alright in it I kinda feel bad for buying it because it pretty much endorces it but I was on a budget

Teeglor

Reaction score
Yes, it's disappointing. Many pet oriented companies seem oblivious to the actual needs of some pets. Pet shop employees often don't know too. But they are only human, I guess.

Love the profile pic btw.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1